Saturday 21 January 2012

PostHeaderIcon The Cats - Goyangyi (2011)


Directed by: Byun Seung-Wook
Country:
Korea
Language:
Korean
Year:
2011
Genre:
Horror, Thriller
Cast :
Park Min-yeong, Kim Dong-wuk, Kim Ye-ron, Kim Min-jae, Sin Da-eun

So-Yeon (Park Min-Young) suffers from claustrophobia due to a traumatic incident that occurred to her as a child. So-Yeon is still treated for her condition to this day. She works as a groomer at a pet shop. One day, a cat named Bidanyi comes into the store. The next day, the owner of Bidanyi is found dead in an elevator. So-Yeon, by request from police officer Joon-Suk (Kim Dong-Wook), takes the cat home. Shortly later, So-Yeon starts to see a mysterious young girl. She becomes more frightened. Then, So-Yeon’s good friend Bo-Hee (Shin Da-Eun) is found dead. Near Bo-Hee, there is a cat which Bo-Hee recently adopted from an animal shelter. So-Yeon now fears for her own life. So-Yeon and Joon-Suk investigate deeper into the mysterious case. There is a hidden story related to the cats …

The entire duration of the film I watched this move I thought how hilarious the concept it was however I really enjoyed the feel of it and the shots the camera used but failed to show in the movie however don’t let that make you not to watch it! 
I don’t think the problem is the concept of “killer cats” If it was done properly, it could have worked. however the film had the lack of rational script and plot. Horror movies never work with scare tactics only. Who isn’t tired of repeatedly watching “look under the bed – there’s a ghost”, “look behind you – there’s a ghost”…accompanied by a sudden loud sound? That’s the oldest cliché in the horror genre! Every cliché in the horror movie is seen haha which is quite amusing really I mean it wasn’t that bad but it could have been a bit better! 
Oh epically the part where her friend was dead and she opened up the sheet that covers dead people and we all know something wacky and predictable will happen so it was quite amusing to be seen. And also the time she screams they all look at her and then we see the girl with the freaky eyes looking at her Yeh weird not creepy it made me laugh! The plot isn’t just mild, it’s ridiculously predictable. It’s also extremely unoriginal I mean I remember really old cat movies such as “Cats eyes” or “Curse of the Cat people” or “Strays” it’s one of those that I can’t get around with in original script.
The acting isn’t an issue though. Although Park Min Young isn’t great, she’s quite decent alright i like her expressions and pulls off what she’s asked to she’s as I preferred her better in City hunter. The kid Kim Ye-Ron (who is actually a sibling of the girl in “A Man From Nowhere”) who made me giggle a lot I mean she looked hilarious! Her story was sad yes but it was just hilarious with the CGI effect in the end just made me burst out! It was so awkward! Reminded me of the scene with Sadako! 
 
however, this movie isnt bad or good I know South Koreans aren’t probably good with horror genres like Thailand or Japan however they add a little twist into them sometimes which is good! I like that! It’s something different!
Honestly though it’s still worth the watch, I liked the message of treating animals bad though that made me cry it’s sad to see animals get treated like that nowadays and we all know that its true! And it’s heartbreaking I hope no human does that! But then again we are a crazy world its quite saddening.
But don’t let this review put you off I’m sure everyone has their own taste right, I just have patience for horrors. I like watching them some are a waste but some are worth watching!

Dopey ~ 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
☆Chibichaos☆
United Kingdom
☆Illustrator ☆photographer ☆Graphic designer ☆Random but nice ☆ ☆Aspiring Author..☆
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.
Chococat is a registered trademark of Sanrio Co., Ltd. ("Sanrio"), and the images are copyrighted by Sanrio.